Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Two years while I tried to get my angelfish to stop eating my cardinal tetras.

Reactions: dban520

·
Registered
242 Posts
About 10 years ago, we are on the Tuna Duck out of Hatteras and hooked a 400 pound blue marlin. I hopped in the chair and fought it for two hours before I was gassed and tapped out. Next guy in the chair had been seasick all morning and he was dehydrated. He lasted 15 minutes. Next, one of the women on the boat jumped in the chair and she lasted about 15 minutes. Next up, we put my son in the chair. The rest of us were in our 50s; my son was 19 and played a lot of sports. We all agreed that he wasn't getting out of the chair.

He fought the fish for another two hours before the rod broke and the line snapped. It was a damned shame we couldn't at least get the fish by the boat and take a picture.

·
Registered
356 Posts
My longest fight wasn't even a particularly big or exciting fish. The fight lasted an easy 30 minutes because of the tackle. I hooked this big dumb blue cat while perch fishing. He bit a 1/2oz gold Hopkins I was vertical jigging in the Susky below Port Deposit. I assumed I had snagged a carp and just wanted my lure back.
The rod was a little buggy whip ultralight rated for 2-6lbs line so I couldn't really pressure it and almost got spooled before I finally got the fish. He ran with the current and I just could not stop him. Over the years, in other locales, I've caught fish big enough to eat this catfish but I was always using tackle appropriate to the fish I was targeting so it didn't take that long. The fish has itself bent into an S as I'm holding it so it is not a great pic but this cat was a little over 36".
Water Boat Vertebrate Sky Boats and boating--Equipment and supplies

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
I fought a big Thresher shark off OC for 11 hours - was fishing alone.

Hooked it up at 3 pm - leader broke at hook about 2 am. Had it up to boat a few times but no way to leader it and gaff or harpoon it.

·
Registered
11,442 Posts
Bi Tarpon , well over 100 # off Key west. Over an hour and a half on a spinning rod . The Tarpon won. I had a guy on my boat off OC that fought a 200# Bigeye Tuna for a couple of hours before landing it and another that fought a 7ft. 300# Mako for a few hours before losing it .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi all, newly registered but have read posts from time to time. I haven't had any off-shore experiences, but in my four-year bay experience, north of the bridge a bit two of us had rays on at the same time, which took us both about 30 minutes to bring in before cutting them loose. About a year earlier I had a ray on for about 30 minutes in the same spot that circled my boat a dozen times. Fortunate that it didn't get into my anchor rope.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I hooked a fish off Tolchester (Hodges Bar) while chumming I fought fish for over 45 minutes had to be a huge striper or black drum fish stayed deep several run offs was so involved forgot to raise the outboard motor finally went under the boat and the prop cut the line. I just wanted to know what it was??😡 I have caught my share of rays and it was not that my guess 100+ lb black drum.
Biggest fish landed 48 lb 6oz. 49 1/2 inch Rockfish on Shimano 3500 Bait runner with 15 lb mono with 60lb fluorocarbon leader drifting eels off Kiptopeake CBBT on my 40th Birthday Dec 28th 2007. The fight took 25 minutes with over 15 boats watching fish broke the net had to land it by hand 😱

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 hour on a 120lbs Pacific Sailfish off the coast of Mazatlan. Watching him tail-walk and jump on the surface was fun to watch but hoisting him up after he decided to go deep was no fun and I was in shape at the time.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My longest was a cow nose ray in a very light weight kayak. I ended up beaching the yak so I could get enough leverage to unhook the fish. The ray just pulled the yak around until iput the rod between my legs and paddled for the shore.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I fought a big Thresher shark off OC for 11 hours - was fishing alone.

Hooked it up at 3 pm - leader broke at hook about 2 am. Had it up to boat a few times but no way to leader it and gaff or harpoon it.
I found that story you posted on TF a long time ago about that the other day just playing with the filter feature.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts