Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need your best guess. i have options on Sat. to go to a private marsh on kent Is. that's been shot Sat., Mon. & Thurs. w/ less greenheads ea. time out; 19, 14 & 5 today or a friend's clubhouse on Elliot Is. where they hunt the public marsh but this will be 1st time down this year & haven't scouted yet or lastly, i can try to walk-in on a spot @ Mckee-Beshers that held water & birds last year but suspect it may not have any after this last big rainfall & summer drought. What do you guys think? Where should I go? Anybody that makes a rec. i use, i'll b-mail results. Thanx in advance. j

·
Registered
533 Posts
Private Marsh on Kent Island #1 Mckee-Beshers second and Deer Hunting third. You could almost hunt Mckee-Beshers in the morning and then go to Kent Island. If you go to Elliots Island you won't hunt al day.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hey Eastduck, what's your plan this weekend, I know you got one. I forgot to tell you, I got buzzed by a large group of small ducks while walking the corn field the other day, I'm guessin they was teals....

·
Registered
783 Posts
Well, since I'll be hunting a private blind in Queen Anne, I recommend you go deer hunting. LOL, just kidding. There is no water at McKee and plus whatever birds were there have been pounded the past couple weeks. I'd be surprised if there are any birds left there. Elliot island might be your best option.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
I guess I'll be going against the grain but if KI has been shot up all week and you're seeing a decrease in the number of ducks each time I'd say that would be the last choice. Elliotts Isl has plenty of birds (Teal, woodies and Mallards and even a pintail or two) and most likley wasn't hunted too hard during the work week, furthermore there are all kinds of places to hunt down there and much of the area isn't hunted too hard earliy season b/c of the skeeters, if you do your homework you can really find some SWEET backwater holes, especially if you have a boat that can get into skinny water. A freind stroked a limit of mallrads and teal down there on Monday, I was in Easton and shot woodies and teal and mallards on Monday as well.

Point being you have an opportunity to hunt a place that YOU KNOW has been hunted 3 timers this week already and has seen a significant reduction in the birds shot (@75%). There not stupid and that hole may be shot up unitl the next split. OR, you can hunt a vast [public marsh that most likely hasn't been hit too hard during the work week. However, you knbow nothing about EI b/c it hasn't recently been scouted. Your right brother you got a dilemma[smile]

My advice/my plan would be to hunt KI in the morning rather than fumble around in an unkown place in the dark at EI, make your KI hunt short and sweet and then boogie down to EI grab some late breakfast/early lunch and head out early to scout, find were the ducks want to be, bump them off set-up and hunt the afternoon. I've doen this numerious times at Deal, and EI and IT WORKS. The key is to do it early in the afternoon 12-2pm. The birds you bumped off will be back as well as new birds, and you'll be more than settled in and ready for the evening.

PS....a map and/or aerial photograph is an AWSOME tool for finding little backwater holes and sloughs were the SAV's are thick, aslo if you can find a hole or slough with some wort of oak haning over you can bet there will be woodies and mallards chompin up the acorns fallin in the water.

I love Mckee Beshers and hunt it often but I've got no advice on that since it seems it was bone dry up till last week? I'm not sure how long it will take the ducks to re-orientate to the flooded timber?

GOOD LUCK,
and remember options are a good thing [grin]

Anthony

·
Registered
533 Posts
Big Eye:
I have got plans. I think we are going surfing in Fenwick Island the ocean will be big this weekend. I may come down to the shore to pick up some stuff and will give you a call. They must have been teal.

Eastduck

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks to all who responded - especially h2oboss for taking the time to give detailed feedback. I like the K.I. in the a.m. to E.I. in the p.m. Will discuss w/ my buds & make a plan. I'll post results. j

·
Registered
783 Posts
Well, I got skunked. A few birds flew right at legal, but it was still too dark for me. About 9:15 a decent flock of mallards buzzed by but of course I was fiddlin around with the boat so I missed it all. Throughout the morning a bunch of shooting around us.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shot private marsh on Kent Is. - wind must have pushed new birds down cuz we had to work these guys unlike the cracker ducks earlier. we wacked 'em: 3 guys = 3 limits by 8 a.m. - all greenheads except 1 hen. never made it down to elliott. j

·
Registered
533 Posts
Great and glad you guys got them. Think your right we saw some new ducks this Sunday too. But sounds like you guys really got em good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts