Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I would post this as it seems that some people do not fully understand or have not completed the boaters safety course. This also applies to Charter boat captains that seem to forget this as well. Here is the USCG Rule:

While vessels under 1600 GT are not specifically required to manage their speed in regards to wake, they are still required to operate in a prudent matter which does not endanger life, limb, or property (46 USC 2302). Nor do the Navigation Rules exonerate any vessel from the consequences of neglect (Rule 2), which, among other things, could be unsafe speeds (Rule 6), improper lookout (Rule 5), or completely ignoring your responsibilities as prescribed by the Navigation Rules.

As to whether or not a particular vessel is responsible for the damage it creates is a question of law and fact that is best left to the Courts. For more information, contact your local Marine Patrol or State Boating Law Administrator.

Life would be what I am talking about here. If you are in a 20 foot boat and come up on a smaller boat that has the right of way while navigating/is at anchor fishing in a main river and you are doing 40 mph, you could cause their boat to take on water and sink, thus causing danger to life. Be smart and courteous when on the water. :thumbup:
Thank you,

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does not matter if you are at the CBBT or in the James River. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WAKE!

·
Registered
263 Posts
I run the Itracoastal from Great Bridge to Waterside with this..........

I don't think the 45 ft yachts throwing up a 4ft wake ever gave me the benifit of the doubt........

Attachments

·
Registered
226 Posts
Nice boat, I love those classic Glastrons. Spent many of hours in one or sking behind it. A tug passed us on the Rapp one day and the bow didn't clear the 3rd wake, looked like a water fall coming over the windshield.

Rappangler

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
It does not matter if you are at the CBBT or in the James River. YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR WAKE!
In general that is correct but not in all cases. if someone goes out into the shipping lanes in a boat too small to handle the waves the ship is not usually held responsible if something happens. Also if I go by a pier and damage a boat if I can show that the owner had not taken proper measures to protect their boat then I might not be held liable for their damages.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I would rather the boat to keep going fast than slow down.. When you slow the boat the waves are twice as big. Unless they stop a mile before and idle by you.. That won't happen.. Even a fast idle wave is worse than a full trim wave.. Then again it depends on the size of boat..

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can see being in a channel of a shipping lane. For one, I would not be in a shipping lane in a small boat. Have you ever been at the anchored with other boats around the CBBT and had a boat come through doing 50 mph and throw everyone all over the place? We have all been out with buddies who think they know everything there is about boating and they think it is everyone else that should get out of the way. Every been trolling along the bridge and someone come flying by and throw you all over the place. It is a no wake zone around bridges too. All I am saying is be courteous and keep from hurting someone.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks Playn Hookie, it's just plain ole common sense & common courtesy, manners in society have changed over the years. When face to face we tend to treat others with respect, you put someone behind a wheel of a car or boat, and they lose all decency towards others .

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I can see being in a channel of a shipping lane. For one, I would not be in a shipping lane in a small boat. Have you ever been at the anchored with other boats around the CBBT and had a boat come through doing 50 mph and throw everyone all over the place? We have all been out with buddies who think they know everything there is about boating and they think it is everyone else that should get out of the way. Every been trolling along the bridge and someone come flying by and throw you all over the place. It is a no wake zone around bridges too. All I am saying is be courteous and keep from hurting someone.
Got to love the guy who has to run on half plan right through the fleet drift fishing. Most people don't know that bridges are no wake zones. I didn't until the CG gave me a warning for running too fast under the Westnorfolk Bridge.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Yeah, especially the GO_FAST boats out for a pleasure cruise.

·
Registered
782 Posts
iF THEY SPILL MY BEER ,IM GONNA RUN-EM DOWN JIM !!!!!! hA HA !!!!
IM WITH YA.....DO YOU THINK ANYONE THAT CUTS YOU OFF, PULLS OUT IN FRONT OF YA, AND ALL THE OTHER JUNK THEY PULL ON LAnd......
THEY WOULD HAVE A CLUE ON THE WATER.....NOT.....THATS WHY i GOT 2 FLARE GUNS.....ONES A THROW DOWN...SO THEY DON'T CSI ME.....!

·
Registered
917 Posts
I agree that common courtesy is often forgotten. Of course waking somebody out in a no wake zone is wrong. However, if you are lined up fishing along an inlet, say Little Creek or Lynnhaven, out of the no wake zone, you are going to have to expect some wake. If you are in a boat too small to handle a bit of wake, then you probably shouldn't be fishing along a busy corridor. Having said that, I'm not gonna blast by at 40kts, but I'm also not going to drop down to no wake speed.

·
Registered
93 Posts
i was cobia fishing 2 yrs ago and a guy cut across my bow and cut my anchor rope rite in 2 and never even stopped ,slowed down or looked back ,,, yes its mostly common sense but people do seem to lose it all when behind a wheel.

·
Registered
161 Posts
What the small boats need to do,,,when they come down from plane,, is to drop throttle all the way down. THEN,,, bump it back up to continue on. Love to watch the ones that come off of plane, stern drops so low they cant see over the bow. If they only knew to idle down a little more, one they could see, two, a 20 foot boat wouldnt throw a 3 foot wake.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I do the best I can, and operate within reason. For example, because of the wake I throw, I come off plane before I enter Little Creek inlet - my wake in that narrow channel can do some serious damage to the small guys.

However, if I'm up on plane and heading out, and there are boats ALL OVER the tube between the first and the second islands, should I be required to come down because there are boats anchored or drifting over the shallower parts of the tube? I DO drop off plane if there is a HUGE mass of boats over the deep water channel. Otherwise, I'll maneuver to stay at a reasonable distance as I pass by at speed.

Joe

·
Registered
111 Posts
Even after placing "No Wake" signs on the bridge and setting cans in the water, we still have boaters cruise by the marina on plane. Some are small skiffs and do not produce that much wake. Some are larger vessels that can create dmaage and injury. Keep in mind that if you are traveling with a tide, your wake will travel away from you more than if you are traveling against a current. The current tends to cut down a wake but not in all situations. We had a boater last year ,after being told to slow down, tell us that his wake was not bothering us. Well by the time the wake got to us , he was out of sight.

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Safely operating your boat goes both ways. If you own a low freeboard boat and are fishing the jetty at Little Creek you better not expect other operators to go no wake as they exit the inlet. If you are one of more than a dozen boats strung across the tube of the CBBT dont expect every passing boat to go no wake as they approach.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts