Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In the market for a youth shotgun for my 9yo son, will be used for clays and bird hunting mostly. Any thoughts from you guys? The ones I've been leaning towards are the Franchi 48AL and the Rem 11-87 Sportsman, both in 20ga. Also saw the other day that the Stoeger Condor is made in a youth version.....

·
Registered
99 Posts
rock n crab,
I'm a big fan of the Franchi, I've had a A-48 short stock since I was 6yrs old and will be rabbit hunting w/ it 34yrs later this afternoon. The new one has choke tubes and the same 24" barrel. Franchi also sells a more modern 20ga. in the 720 that sports a short stock, 24" barrel and is also a 3 inch gun. It has a reciever that's rounded like the Remington. Either would be ideal for bird hunting. Both are about the same price, about $735.00 for the A-48, and $700.00 for the 720.

My son and I just got new Franchi I-12's for Christmas and love'em. It's hard to believe that as long as the A-48 has been around that is still so popular. I guess at 5.6lb it's a hard gun to beat if you do much walking. Good luck in what ever you decide, I know your son will be tickled as I was with a new gun to sport around with.

www.franchiusa.com

BILL

·
Registered
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Bill..... It's funny you say you still use the short stock gun, I bought my kids the Remington ML700 muzzle loader in the youth size and they love it, I too use it most of the BLK PWDR season. It's great in the treestand and a wonder to carry around.

·
Registered
57 Posts
We've had an H & R single shot 20 ga hammer shotgun that has been used w. kids primarily for safety, gun handeling and recoil reasons. Once proficent the Berretta 390 youth/womens in an excellent choice- smaller frame gas gun.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I got a Remington 1100 when I was 9 years old and had the stock cut so that it would fit me. It was a great gun for doves and ducks. I still have it and let kids/women use it when we are shootinf clays. I never had a single problem with it.

Ed

·
Registered
140 Posts
My 10 year old cousin has the 1187 youth size in 20 ga. Its a sweet little gun. never had any problems with it and its easy to clean. very light too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts