Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mike had a charter this morning of 4 guys. It was 13 degrees when they left to go fishing. They went to spot #1 and they caught 1 fish. On to spot #2 where they caught 8 - 10 fish. Moved on to spot #3 and caught 0 fish. Back to spot #2, but in a little deeper water and they hit the jackpot. They were fishing in about 45 feet.

Mike said they caught all the over 12" YP you wanted. Everyone got their limit of fish from 12 to 13 1/2 inches. All fish were caught on green plastic worms, only because that was the only thing Mike had on the boat. It looks like you don't need a variety of lures to catch your limit.

He took pictures but I am in the process of getting my old computer switched over to my new computer and didn't get time to download them.

Yesterday and Wednesday, Herb and Mike fished through the ice on the Northeast River and caught plent of Perch, along with 2 LM Bass around 4 pounds each. He said the ice was about 14 inches thick.

There was a deputy sherriff on the shore telling them to get off the ice because it wasn't safe. About that time, the fire siren started blowing and Mike told Herb they had better leave before they sent the rescue boat out to rescue them.

The ice on the Northeast River is so thick you can hardly chop a hole in it. In fact, Mike was using an auger to make a hole.

I will try to have pictures with my next report.

Ele

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
That's funny Ele. Last January 2010 I fished there on the ice w/Mike and Herb but it wasn't no 14 inches thick, maybe 6" at the most. Mike used an axe to chop holes here and there. It was very cold that day but still fun. See you tomorrow night.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ele,this Merrill one of the guys that was with Mike yesterday.What a great time we had catching all those perch.When you get your new computer set up could you e-mail the pics of ouw trip? my e-mail is [email protected] Again Mike thanks for a great day!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Merrill, I will be glad to. This week has been hectic. Just back from vacation on Saturday and trying to get things going for our CCA Banuqet, which is tonight. Don't know if you are a member or not, but if you are not, you should be. It is because of CCA that we now have this great YP fishery.

Glad you had a good time.

Ele

http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/fish/yellowperch/default.asp

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
Ele, did Mike and Herb leave the ice? I hope not. I got chased off of Tuckahoe Lake a few years back by the DNR. Had 6" of rock solid ice under me. I got off their lake, but I'd probably make em come out and cuff me if I were on one of our rivers :yes:. No, second thought, delete the word "probably" above :wink44:. Your men did good :thumbup:.

·
Registered
7,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Virgil, They did get off the ice when they heard the fire siren. They were getting ready to leave anyway. A couple of years ago, Mike was ice fishing on the Susqy when someone going over the bridge in a car saw him and called 911. The ambulance and rescue squad was sent out to rescue him, when he was perfectly fine.

Ele

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes it was 13 degrees but when we started bailing the perch ya didn't feel the cold any more. Well some times ya gotta lie alittle bit.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ken

Mike just a few lines to tell everyone about our great trip with you on Friday the 11th the cold weather was not a factor when you catch the amount of yellow persh that we had couldn't have asked for a better trip, we will surely be booking another trip this week. Thanks for all the fun we had. Ken

1 - 10 of 10 Posts