Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reports from pax river? or potomac? magothy? I've been all over the eastern shore and havn't had any luck, With this weekend being yp day i would like to feel some pullage...:help:

·
Registered
96 Posts
I was in the Magothy today and all we caught was a cold. I heard they were catching them a couple weeks ago but it cooled off. They say they haven't spawned yet so my guess is they'll be hitting before long..........

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
whats everybody using? I've tried small spoons, live minnows, small bkds, trout worms, plastic grubs, plastic worms, spinner baits, crank baits, no yp, had a few bucket mouths and shad but no ring perch.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I don't think that they have come and gone yet. Last year I had my best day (in the Tuckahoe River) on March 10th. It hasn't snowed as much tthis year as it did last, but it certainly has been a cold one. My guess is next week. But then again, what do I know. If the weather allows me, I'm going to try next Wednesday.

Boatron

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
I've fished for them everyday this week, anywhere from 1-4 hrs per day, and yes this week has been slooooooooow. There have been some decent Yellows caught but it seems that the window for when they are biting has only lasted about 1/2hr....... And the ones that I have caught will barely even move the bobber..... very light bit. Couple warm days should get them going. These 20degree nights is what I think has them messed up. What the hell do I know though

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.com!
7,173 Posts
I'm going to try the Choptank next week and will let you know if anything is biting.

·
Premium Member
26,290 Posts
Yellow Perch can come and go in an hour. Not uncommon for them to stage near the headwater streams - then go back to deeper waters.

Some call it a false spawning run. The full moon will be the 19th - this often brings higher tides and allows the Perch to go farther upstream.

It pays to keep checking every day or two. I've seen guys stop and use a thermometer to guage when the Perch will come into a creek.

IMHO - live grass shrimp are the #1 bait. Small 2 inch live minnows are next.

Sadly - the western shore creeks do not see the huge Perch runs they used to. Years ago - they literally carpeted the entire bottom.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well went out on the pax river this morning with yp's on my mind. We launched north of jug bay and went upstream about 2 miles and drifted back with no yellows to be found. Talked to a few people on the shore fishing along the way they also came up empty. We ran into a few shad along the way but still no yellow perch. Guess they havent made it that far north yet. doh

·
Registered
20 Posts
pax river

fished fri 3/4/11 caught maybe 30 some nice size ones mixed in .2 fish about 13 inch. Went today sat only caught 5 maybe 6 inch. I was using blade lures both days. Small boat route 4 bridge area

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well I went back to Wayson's Corner today in the rain in search of the yp's I missed yesterday. Got to the bridges and it was raining buckets, perfect conditions to fish alone.. Walked downstream about 100 yards and set up shop. I was working two rods, one with a small spoon and the other drifting a grass shrimp under a bobber. Ended up catching two yp's right when the tide turned and that was it. The first fish took the spoon and the second took the shrimp. Both fish went back into the river happy and healthy. :D

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts