Tidal Fish Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
11,241 Posts
I fish Loch Raven for big Yellow Perch and every one is loaded with small clams . There are hundreds of them in each fishs stomach because they eat tiny , rock salt sized ones . I'm only allowed to kill 10 to be part of the solution and not the problem as somone else said.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Yes channel cat are, so we don’t need another breed of catfish doing the same. As far as perch go, I feel there’s very little big perch because the cats are eating the little one up and along with the rock and channel cat and they just can’t grow large in numbers. I believe your seeing the beginning of just how bad they are for our ecosystem. I don’t believe in cycles.

·
Registered
11,241 Posts
I did read that snakehead eat their own quite frequently, that’s refreshing
I read that Bass are more cannabalistic by eating their own than snakeheads, That's refreshing to me. Snakeheads protect their young like most intelligent creatures do , while Bass and many other fish abandon their young to fight for them selves when they are fry. Too bad Stripers , Bass and other fish are not that smart .

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
Well, only thing we can do now is what the dnr suggest when you catch a snakehead, cause they ain’t going anywhere and ain’t worth arguing about.

·
Registered
11,241 Posts
It's about 50/50 for fishermen fishing for snakeheads. Half will kill them while the other half will release them You do what you think is right and the other 50% will do what they think is right.I know dam well that you don't like everything the DR proposes . You only do the things you have to with them. With Snakeheads and Catfish there is a choice. They can't make you kill them. Only you can decide. I would rather have world class Snakehead and Blue Catfish fishing in the upper Bay than mediocre to poor Striped Bass and Tidal Bass fishing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
It's about 50/50 for fishermen fishing for snakeheads. Half will kill them while the other half will release them You do what you think is right and the other 50% will do what they think is right.I know dam well that you don't like everything the DR proposes . You only do the things you have to with them. With Snakeheads and Catfish there is a choice. They can't make you kill them. Only you can decide. I would rather have world class Snakehead and Blue Catfish fishing in the upper Bay than mediocre to poor Striped Bass and Tidal Bass fishing.
Actually they can, (either kill or stop you from fishing) and have done so in other states. All they have to do is make it illegal to release a live snakehead in the water, and illegal to posses alive. Please tell us how you would get around that, without killing them. Other then by stopping fishing in waters where they are.

·
Registered
11,241 Posts
Actually they can, (either kill or stop you from fishing) and have done so in other states. All they have to do is make it illegal to release a live snakehead in the water, and illegal to posses alive. Please tell us how you would get around that, without killing them. Other then by stopping fishing in waters where they are.
Myself and everyone else that fishes for snakeheads by kayak have lost many of them by them jumping right out of a kayak like a jack in the box . They automatically self release . They are very strong fish . They can leap buildings in a single bound, more powerful that a locomotive and faster than a speeding bullet . They don't flop around on their sides like Bass and other fish do. They can twist upright on their stomachs and shoot right out of a kayak in a second like an eel. Especially when they get big. They can't make you kill a fish that escapes death on its own. You have to kill them if you plant to keep them in Maryland, otherwise you can release them where you caught them. They don't want you transplanting them in freshwater lakes. It would be pointless to keep them to transplant into other tidal rivers in the Chesapeake Bay because they are already there. Many boaters have had them jump from their hands right back into the water too.

·
Registered
11,241 Posts
ONLY THE STRONG SURVIVE.........Gary
That's the truth. I was thinking about the striped bass moratorium that started in 1985-90.There there were more striped bass then , than now and they placed striped bass under a moratorium. After 30 years of supplemental stocking, strict conservation and closed seasons , we're down to 1 striped bass . That leaves them with 2 choices, leave it the way it is with a 1 fish limit and restricted seasonal closures until there are none left or another moratorium and start all over again. I think it would make things a lot easier if they just considered snakeheads and catfish the new natives and see what happens . If the old natives can no longer survive in the new environment , so be it. They tried for more than 30 years with striped bass and more than 40 years of stocking 8 million tidal bass and we don't have much to show for it . Let the cards fall were they may . That's my opinion.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Nature will dictate what happens. Everytime humans try to regulate a species, it never ends well. Big problem is water quality with most....... Gary

·
Registered
11,241 Posts
Nature will dictate what happens. Everytime humans try to regulate a species, it never ends well. Big problem is water quality with most....... Gary
I agree. many species of marine life can't thrive here any more like they once could . Let the species that can thrive here, live here and become the new natives. The old natives will eventually die off anyway. The oysters and mano clams are another lost fishery and stripers were more plentiful when they had clams to eat. I remember all the calm boats in front of Rock Hall in the 70s each fall . We used to buy mano clams to chum for striped bass with for $6 a bu. in the 70s .Tell them to wake up and accept the facts . Yester years are gone forever .

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
The only thing that is constant in life is change. If you can't change, you will get left behind so adapt!............ Gary

·
Registered
11,241 Posts
The only thing that is constant in life is change. If you can't change, you will get left behind so adapt!............ Gary
You're answering your own question on what to tell them . One of my favorite books on the subject of the 60s-70s from Rock Hall where I fished all the time is The Best Of Times On the Chesapeake Bay an account of a Rock Hall Waterman Lived by Captain Larry Simms president of the Maryland Watermen's assoc. back then

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
People will never see what we seen on them mano clam boats. We fished on the clam boats. We brought the Capt. a fifth and would help him unload the clams and he let us fish off the back of the boat. The rock fish came up right at the back of boat feeding on the clams the got by on the convaer belt. Was really something to see. You could catch all you wanted. Back then we all thought it would never end.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
You're answering your own question on what to tell them . One of my favorite books on the subject of the 60s-70s from Rock Hall where I fished all the time is The Best Of Times On the Chesapeake Bay an account of a Rock Hall Waterman Lived by Captain Larry Simms president of the Maryland Watermen's assoc. back then
Yes, that book and Beautiful Swimmers, two great books.

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
They eat the exact same thing the channel catfish have been eating for hundreds of years . They should do the same study on Channel Catfish too and compare what they are eating . Then decide whether they should kill both species because they don't like what they eat . Check Striped Bass too . Tell your son to ask why there aren't as many Striped Bass as there used to be ?
same thing is happening in this country on ground invasives every were .it’s a different world

21 - 40 of 57 Posts